Monday, June 20, 2011

iStore

Well, I almost had a major tragedy today dear readers. I dropped my iPhone and the screen cracked. I honestly wasn't sure I could go on. I had this problem on my previous iPhone and let it go until the chunks were actually falling out and then tried to replace it myself. The poor thing died on the opeating table.

So, this time I decided to call the apple store and see what they could do. They were very courteous on the phone and I made an appointment for eight o'clock (after work) and tried to keep my hopes up. I had never been to the Apple store but I did have several preconceived notions mostly based on an episode of The Simpsons. I had in my mind a picture of a big white cube, made entirely out of glass. In this fantasy there were people in khakis and polos trying not to look too preppy just hanging around hoping some of the magic will be transferred to them. I figured it was a place where you walk in and you enter a magical world where well dressed employees who could look things up in their computers in their heads. I was sure the unicorns with little apple logos galloped around serving lemonade to the people who were waiting for their phones to get fixed.

It obviously wasn't like I figured it would be. It was a pretty crowded little store. Mostly, it was filled with adults trying to figure out how to use their new computer. There were a lot of sales people around. I wasn't sure where to go so I went up to one of the sales associates and asked about my appointment. They were very nice, even though I was a little late (it is not easy to find it in the shopping center where it is located.) There were a lot of interesting gadgets that were way more expensive than they needed to be. So, having heard about how much apple may charge for screen replacement, I went in prepared to pay up to a hundred dollars. However, the guy was very nice and said since I'd only had the phone a month he would put this repair on my warranty.

So, I managed to get my screen fixed with limited difficulty, other than having to race across town to get to my appointment. I know there have been people who have a lot of trouble with the Apple store (or, if you will iStore) but I honestly thought it was a pretty good experience. The only thing I would change is the location. This store is way the heck out there. I think they could have found something much more central to the Omaha area. Otherwise, despite not being the hipster Mecca I thought it would be, I thought it was a very nice store with very nice employees.

No comments:

Post a Comment