Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Puppy Cam (my not so secret, secret obsession)

Most nights, after getting done with work I like to go to my room, turn on my computer and read webcomics, update my blog, check facebook, you know the usual. Well what you may not realize is that somewhere in the middle of all of this I like to open a tab and go to one of my bookmarks and just leave that open switching back to it every few minutes. This other tab is a little window into the home of a person I have never met face to face... no wait that sounds worse than it is, it is actually a channel on UStream for watching some of the dogs in foster care with the group Southern California German Shepherd Rescue and it is AWESOME.

At this moment in time the cam mostly shows the house of SCGSR's founder Marcy, who has some 10 dogs living in her house, 4 of them are hers and the rest are her foster dogs. 3 of these dogs are puppies known as the flower girls, Iris, Lily and Daisy. The flower girls' mama, Mya, also lives there. The flower girls are about 9 and a half weeks old and are just an absolute joy to watch run around and play with the bigger dogs, who are very good with the puppies. Their mother thinks she is bigger than all the other dogs even though she isn't and will hop around and play with them and try to take them on. It's very fun.

The Flower Girls are the third litter of puppies that I have watched that have gone through SCGSR. The first were a set of 7 whose mom was named Serena, they lived at Marcy's while awaiting adoption, one of Marcy's current dogs, Ranger, is from that batch. (fun fact: in rescue's a dog who ends up being adopted by their foster parent is called a "failure") They are all about 2 now if I have my reckoning strait. The second bunch had 8, their mother was named Anke, I actually logged on and managed to see them the day they were born. Anke and co. lived with another foster family Joe and Lisa. Two of Anke's pups were born missing some of their hair, they are otherwise quite healthy and have grown into the look quite well we call them the twins and they are also staying with Marcy and are hoping to find a home together.

As I have watched the pups and doggies of SCGSR I have gotten to know some of the other watchers through the chat. I am a big proponent of online friendships and definitely count many of these chatters as my friends. We talk about what is going on with the cam, what is happening with SCGSR in general, our dogs, our lives, whatever might be going on that day. All in all it is a really great comunity that I feel works out better than any other non game related comunity that you could find today.

Anyway what this comes down to is a general awareness piece about these wonderful people in San Diego who do so much for these wonderful doggies. And you should totally check out their website.SCGSR channel SCGSR website


ON a completely different note I would like to say that I do realize that I have a lot of trouble ending these posts, hopefully I will be able to work on that before you figure out that I can't end the posts.... aw sh**

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rose.... LoriannT here.. thanks for posting this. the more the 'word' gets out the better..

    ReplyDelete