Monday, June 13, 2011

Roll Dice to Splode Aliens.

     Currently I am playing in a game that is a sort of modified World Of Darkness. This game is based on the computer game X-Com which is a game I know very little about as I have never actually played it. However that does not stop me from enjoying the pen and paper version that my friend created (look at the end for a link to his story blog which is worth checking out). However I promised myself that I would not talk about friends too much in this blog at least not in a way that they would know that I'm talking about them (we will see how long I keep my resolve on this) so I will instead talk about my characters specifically.

     From what my friends tell me X-Com has troops dying all the time and I have stayed true to form. My first character, Blue Astronaut, had no firearms skill but was supposed to be very sneaky (she was a recon agent). Unfortunately, in our first mission Astronaut had to directly confront a Grey and while she survived her botched grenade throwing attempt she ended up getting mind controlled by the Grey and tried to kill her fellow com members. Fortunately for them her firearms skill did not suddenly become amazing and the only shot that actually hit its target was unfortunately Blue Astronaut's suicide shot. I like to think that Blue Astronaut single handedly took out the threat of the mind controlled agent who could have easily taken out the whole group but either way she was dead. So I had to make a new character.

     For my next character I decided to get some points with flaws. There were six possibilities for the kind of agent we could make so I decided to roll a d6 to randomly chose which this new character would be. Wouldn't you know it I got another recon op. Well I decided to stick with my flaw plan but what flaws to take? I thought the idea of a silent recon op was interesting so I took "mute" and "shy." In the game we all can take for free a DEI which is a computer that was put directly in our brain that takes the place of some of our frontal lobe. (there are more specific terms in game but I never really bothered to remember it, what I know is this is the part of the brain that deals with morals). Despite the fact that Blue Astronaut's DEI may have made it easier for the Greys to control her mind, I figured that the ease of communication with others through their personal devices (be they DEI or hand held) out weighed the risk. So my new op, 3 Mountains, is mute but can still communicate… in a way. Well 3 Mountains seems to be doing well, at least she hasn't died yet. She also has helped blow up some aliens with an experimental weapon which is pretty much what this game is all about, in a very good way.

     My other big contribution so far is the addition of a shark tank in our compound. Others may not have liked the idea but now we have sharks who have actually played an important role in the story and are awesome.

    In other news this post was written entirely from my iPhone which I find pretty awesome. Oh and that link I promised you to my friend's story blog is Winter's Riddle and you should definitely check it out.

    I hope to be writing more posts in the near future, the fact that I can type and save drafts of my blog whenever should greatly help this as usually my down time is either when I am too tired to write or for 30 minutes or less at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment