Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Webcomic Wednesday: Something Positive by R. K. Milholland

Today I am gonna start a weekly feature called "Webcomic Wednesday." I suppose I probably should have started writing this yesterday so it actually got up for most of Wednesday but no such luck. I will try to remember that for next week.

Something Positive is a snarky cynical slice of life. I have been reading this comic for at least 7 years but possibly longer, which is longer than any other comic that I currently read. I have a tradition of going through the archives every year starting at the new year and sometimes I go through them at some other point during the year. But enough about me, you want to hear about the comic!

The main star of S*P is Davan MacIntire. A sarcastic, sometimes bitter man who enjoys watching stupid people suffer. I feel the character has mellowed with age and whether this was the intention of Milholland or not I think it has been a good character development. Despite or maybe because of his shortcomings Davan is a character who is easy to sympathize with.

Other characters of note include Aubrey, one of Davan's oldest friends. She's a strong independent woman with a violent streak. Like Davan, Aubrey is pretty easy to like as a character. There is also Pee-Jee who is probably one if the sweetest characters in the strip. She still has been known to have a few violent tendencies but she is probably one of my favorite characters in all of webcomics. Jason, is Aubrey's husband but in the early strips liked to play himself off as a playboy but shows himself to be a real romantic and, since he and Aubrey adopted a little girl, a devoted father.

Let's not forget the real star of the strip, Choo-Choo Bear. Choo-Choo is a boneless, hairless, 25+ year old cat. He can take on any form he wants and, like a certain friend of mine can fit into anywhere. Did I mention he is Jewish. He is a favorite of most fans and recently had a litter of kittens with a cat from another strip. These kittens have gone to various owners in several comic strips. Choo-Choo is pretty much a god among cats.

There are dozens if other characters in the world of Something Positive but these are the ones that I feel best demonstrate its awesomeness. If have never seen it you definitely need to check out Something Positive. It is definitely worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment